At Irente Biodiversity Reserve. The climate is temperate and cooler than on the plains (the height is 1,450 metres.) Just relax around the lodge and stroll on the reserve. Visit Irente School for the Blind, Rainbow School for mentally handicapped children, and Irente Orphanage, all situated within the Reserve.
You are welcome to visit the cheese and jam/juice making facilities as well visiting the cows. At Irente Biodiversity Reserve you can learn more about indigenous trees using a useful guidebook. Lushoto market on Thursdays and Sundays is a vibrant and colourful spectacle.
You can walk on your own to Irente View point which gives you wonderful views over the Mkomazi floodplains and is only 1.7 km away. Irente Biodiversity Reserve organizes guided tours in the Usambara Mountains with certified guides.
- Magamba rain forest. Your tour there and back takes about 6 hours. The tour can start and finish at Irente.
- Mkuzu water fall. It is a bit further away than Magamba forest.
- Mtae and Mlalo. These trips are 3-5 days and can be combined with catching the bus there or back.
- Mazumbai is one of East Africa´s best preserved rainforests and well worth a visit. This is a two hour drive from Irente. You could do a combined walk/bus trip there with a guide.
- Benedictine Fathers of Sakarani is about a 40 minute drive from Irente. Walk on their property, and come away with wine and macadamia nuts.